Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ultrasound: 12 weeks 1 day

Today I had my ultrasound! I've been really looking forward to this one for so many reasons: getting a rate for the heart beat, seeing the baby actually starting to look like a baby (not a gummi bear, lol), and making sure everything is okay (including the placenta).

I am also really happy to say Joey was able to come along! It was scheduled for early this morning, so he got a few hours off from work. :)

We got there at 8:35 or my 8:45 appointment... and pretty much didn't get seen for close to 30 minutes after my appointment time! I was getting a little annoyed because even though he was off for a few hours, Joey did have something he had to get to in time.

We go back, and right off the bat I tell the lady I had a few questions for her:
1. Can she tell me if the placenta is the right size, looks normal, etc?
2. Has she heard of the "nub theory," and can I get a picture of it?
3. Does she have any guesses on gender?

She told me the placenta looked perfect and is anterior (front of my uterus), but that was no concern. (Woohoo!)

She said she hadn't heard of the nub theory and pretty much tried to say she wasn't allowed to touch on gender at this visit because it's so early that anything is just a guess at this point. Understandable. Except she pretty much made it seem like she wouldn't even print the picture out for me! And needless to say, I never bothered to ask about the gender guess because she made it quite clear she wasn't going to guess it.

She started the rest of the ultrasound- we got to see the umbilical cord and that it has 2 arteries and looks good. She looked at the heart, and show us the blood flow even, and that looked good. The brain also looked good.

At some point, I did see the nub on the screen! I figured I wasn't getting a picture, so I studied it while it was up on the screen... I have a thought but I'm not sharing since I don't have an image to back it up.

The baby was moving like crazy! Legs kicking, arms moving and covering its' face, and my personal favorite: ricocheting from one side of the uterus to the other! This baby is just a non-stop mover already at 12 weeks, I'm going to be in trouble in about 20 weeks when it's doing this at 3am! lol

Baby's heart beat was 166, but she didn't turn it on for us to listen to.

I got 5 pictures at the end of the visit... and surprisingly, she said "I got the picture you wanted, even though it's not accurate at this stage. They all look like girls right now." I was really surprised and then I realized she actually got a POTTY SHOT of the baby. It's okay, she tried! But even I know potty shots at 12 weeks are pretty useless, lol. She genuinely didn't know what the nub shot was, but that's alright. Just means in 4 weeks we'll have a nice surprise with no guesses beforehand! lol

Here are the pictures:
4d shot

4d capture of baby- check out those long legs! And an ear! 

Profile shot of baby

This is the "potty shot" - I labeled what it all is. :)

Our little guy's face and belly!

2 comments:

  1. i dont know if you get on here anymore or if you will get notified of my comment but i was wondering what you had. im 12 weeks 4 days and my technician today wouldnt even give me a potty shot soo i was just wondering to me looks like a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She ended up being a girl! :)
      In this case, the potty shot ended up being accurate - and we got confirmation at 15 and then again at 20 weeks :)

      Delete