Monday, January 28, 2013

Prenatal Visit: 12 weeks

Today was my 12 week prenatal visit with my regular ob/gyn (not high risk doctor). I went with high hopes of hearing baby via doppler, and that's pretty much all I was concerned with since otherwise I feel great.

This appointment... well, let's just say it went in another direction in every single aspect.

Doppler: Doctor looked around for quite some time and pretty much only picked up my own heart beat. I wasn't too panicked because I know even at 12 weeks (and me being overweight to begin with) catching the heartrate on ultrasound is iffy. She eventually said to me, "Do you hear that in the background?" I could very faintly hear a second heart beat in the background of my own... She gave up right about then because I guess that was good enough for her. She said that she couldn't pick it up well enough to get a reading, though.

High Risk Doctor: I had to ask her why exactly I was sent to Maternal Fetal Medicine for diabetes when I'm not, in fact, diabetic. Her response? She laughed. She said, "Oh there must have been a miscommunication between offices! We only sent you there for your seizures and the seizure medication!" *grumble* I had a feeling something was strange with this situation. She told me my insulin resistance wasn't big enough of a concern unless I failed my glucose tests later on in the pregnancy, and in that case my regular ob/gyn would still manage me. I told her they had me testing my sugars 4 times per day and on a strict diabetic diet. She basically said that a diet would never hurt so I could feel free to follow it (sure...), and that there was no reason to check my sugars.

Metformin: I was told I could stop tomorrow (when I'll be 12 weeks); fairly happy about this news because those pills choke me every night when I take them!

Progesterone: *le sigh* My progesterone has been my crutch since 5 weeks. My levels tested at 6.4 and I was given an option for the supplements. Of course I took them, and I'm not 100% sure but I think they are responsible for letting me carry this far. I am absolutely terrified to stop them, but know that they are typically stopped between 9-13 weeks along since that's when the placenta is supposed to take over production of the progesterone. But there's no way to know if it HAS taken over- it's pretty much a shot in the dark at this point. Well, she told me to stop them tomorrow. Cold turkey. No weaning, no lab draws like I was told about. I'm fairly annoyed and terrified at the same time.

I've been in a funk since my appointment... at least I have my ultrasound Wednesday. Some ladies on a message board I frequent suggested asking them to check the placenta for me on Wednesday to let me know how it looked.

That's basically the gist of today's appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment