Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Maternal Fetal Medicine Appointment

Today I had my first appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine (ie: Perinatology/High Risk doctor)... I have to admit, I was pretty confused about this whole appointment in general. I was told by my Ob at my first prenatal appointment that I'd be scheduled for "one" appointment with MFM (and also I had the option to do the 12 week NT scan with them as well)... this made sense, since I also had one appointment with them with Chase as well.

Logically, it made sense that it was for my Epilepsy and my anticonvulsant medication.

However, I was shocked with the nurse from my Ob's office called me and scheduled me for FOUR appointments with MFM! I thought that was strange but attributed it to the fact that I had multiple seizures in August and they wanted to be extra cautious.

Imagine my surprise when I showed up to my MFM appointment (after going to the wrong building, might I add, because my Ob's office gave me their old address), and they are bombarding me with questions about my diabetes. Why was I surprised? Maybe because I don't have diabetes. The nurse said, "How long have you been diabetic?" My reply was, "I'm not..." She said, "Oh," but kept asking me diabetes related questions. Now I do have insulin resistance which basically means I'm "borderline diabetic" and run a higher risk of developing diabetes as I get older. This is due to my PCOS, and it's regulated with Metformin.

My "quick appointment" turned into a 2 hour long teaching session about diabetic diets and checking my blood sugars. I left there pretty darn annoyed. I was given a very strict diet to follow (complete with a sample meal plan), and a glucometer with instructions to check my blood sugar four times a day, every day! This new diet includes fish (I don't eat), meats (currently having aversions to), only whole wheat breads... and even worse is what they cut out of my diet. I'm not allowed to eat cereal with milk for breakfast (my favorite thing!), most fruits are cut down and/or limited, no sweets (my cravings!!!!!!)... it's pretty ridiculous.


On the plus side, I did get to see my little Gummi Bear. It was a very quick ultrasound (using a handheld ultrasound machine!), so we didn't get pictures or exact measurements but we saw the heartbeat and were told the baby looks just as it should for 10 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment