Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Prenatal Visit: 26 weeks & labs

Showed up for my labwork this morning at 8:30am, armed with my phone and a good book! The lab today is for gestational diabetes and at my office they do a 2 hour test first, so I needed some entertainment.

Got fasting blood drawn, given the awful sugary orange drink (which HAS to be worse on an empty stomach!), and sent on my merry way back to the waiting room. The lab tech told me to just come right back at 9:40 and then at 10:40 and not to even bother stopping at the desk.

First hour surprisingly went fast. Went back, got redrawn (and ouch! she drew from the same darn spot!), and back to the waiting room I go. Candy Crush and Word Chums really passed the time!

Part of this appointment was a visit with the doctor after the labwork, I figured to get my results. I got called back around 10:15am and was a bit confused because my final labs hadn't been drawn yet. I get back to nurse triage and she does the normal stuff: weight, blood pressure, urine sample. Then she goes over a bunch of paperwork (hospital waivers and such)... She brings me to the room and peeks her head in a few minutes later and asks if I'm spotting. :\ I said no and she let me know that my sample had blood in it. Great.

Doctor comes in and... surprise! It's actually a 26 week appointment! Apparently I'm on 2 week appointments earlier than I thought! (I thought it was 28 weeks) She also goes over everything about delivery and has me sign some papers too. Gives me information on taking a tour of L&D, and my admission paperwork for the hospital. Scary stuff right there! That means we're really getting close!!!

Find out that I am NOT getting labs back at the appointment, she said the nurse will call me if my sugar came back elevated and if I don't get a call it'll go to my online chart as normal and I can view it there. As for the urine, she said I might just have an infection so they're going to check on it to see if I need an antibiotic.

Baby measures right on track and her heartrate was 140s again. :) Doctor found her on the first shot this time!

Finished the evening up with an awful headache, probably because of my weird eating schedule for the day. I'll update when I get the labs back.

Oh, and I got referral to Pulm.

No comments:

Post a Comment